When you hire a criminal defense attorney after you are charged with a crime, the ultimate goal of your attorney is to get your charges dropped or secure a “not-guilty” verdict. To accomplish this, your attorney will comprehensively review your case and develop the most tactical and strategic plan to negotiate with the prosecution or persuade a judge or jury. If it is possible to avoid having your case tried in the first place, that is another angle that your lawyer may pursue.
There can be very serious implications to criminal convictions, such as extensive time in jail, costly fines, destroyed reputation, and missing time with your family. Having quality legal counsel improves your chances of overcoming your charges. Your attorney will employ specific methods and actions that will improve your chances of getting the best results.
Five Tactics That Could Beat Criminal Charges
The following tactics could be successful in winning your criminal case:
- Simply because charges are made and a case is active does not mean that it will go to trial. There are many instances in which there are clear flaws in a criminal prosecution. A lawyer who identifies these issues can file a Motion to Dismiss your case. If there are established grounds for a case dismissal, a judge may grant the motion and you will be free from your charges.
- If law enforcement did not have legitimate legal cause for stopping or detaining you, it is possible to file a Motion to Suppress. If your lawyer can show that the police wrongfully stopped you and detained you and the motion is granted, it is likely that the prosecution will back down and drop the case.
- Your lawyer can break down the forensic test results and show that they cannot be trusted and were conducted improperly.
- Finding mistakes on behalf of law enforcement and discrediting officer testimony.
- Taking the time to scrutinize every piece of evidence and each detail of the case to show that you are innocent of the charges you are facing.
The quality of your legal counsel will weigh heavily on how successful and effective your defense will be. An aggressive, convincing, and experienced attorney who has a history of getting the best possible results will be your best choice. Skilled lawyers like David M. Boertje know what they are doing and can provide the peace of mind that they will work hard for you.
If your case can be concluded expeditiously and not be tried in court, you will save time, money, and be better shielded from public shame. It is incredibly important that you connect with a qualified attorney as soon as you can after your arrest.
Speak to a San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney Today
David M. Boertje is a San Diego criminal defense attorney that is admitted to practice in California as well as many other Federal District Courts. If you were charged with a crime, whether it is a misdemeanor or a felony, David M. Boertje can help you.
To schedule a free, initial consultation with the Law Offices of David M. Boertje, please call (619) 229-1870 for the San Diego office or (760) 476-0901 for the Carlsbad location.