There are many factors that go into a successful court appearance, and every little detail matters. Your attorney is going to put extensive work into gathering information and forming a strong defense strategy that can place you in the best light, place doubt in the jury’s minds about the crime you are charged with, and explain why you deserve to secure a not-guilty verdict. You should also put effort into making sure you are supporting your defense in any way possible including what you wear and how you look. This is because the way a jury perceives you can play a big part in how they evaluate your case.
When you are defending yourself against criminal charges in California, it is best to have the most effective and experienced legal counsel on our side advocating and fighting to get you the best possible outcome. David M. Boertje is a San Diego criminal defense attorney who will not only put together a strategic and sound legal defense for you and litigate it in court on your behalf, but attorney Boertje will also guide you on what to expect and do to secure the best outcome possible for your case.
Tips for Dressing for Court
There are going to be people who are not impacted by the way a defendant looks, but there are others who are. You cannot know what the makeup of the jury is going to be in your case or what the judge’s preconceptions are. It is better to err on the safe side and dress appropriately so that you can put your best foot forward. Consider the following tips:
- If you have body jewelry that is visible, remove it.
- If you have tattoos and body art that is visible, cover up what you can.
- Keep your clothing more conventional and conservative, nothing too flashy.
- Make sure your clothes fit you well and are laundered and ironed where necessary.
- Make sure your hair is clean and in place.
- Make sure your clothes are appropriately fitted to your body but that they are also comfortable to wear and sit in while you are in court.
- Groom your entire body. Not only should your hair be in place but your nails clean and clipped, skin cleaned and shaven, and teeth brushed.
- Do not keep too many loose items in your pockets so you do not make much noise as you move about.
- Wear minimal jewelry, if any.
- Do not wear a hat.
Speak to a San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney Today
There is much that goes into a strategy for success at court and a part of that is what you do and how you look. For help fighting your criminal charges, you can call the Law Offices of David M. Boertje to speak with an experienced California criminal defense attorney at (619) 229-1870 for the San Diego office or (760) 476-0901 for the Carlsbad location. Consultations are free.