Criminal charges are serious business, requiring a serious response. At the Law Offices of David M. Boertje, a skilled defense attorney is committed to fighting for your best interests. Part of that means we strive to keep clients informed every step of the way. Although every case is different, here is generally what you can expect:
- A straightforward, no-nonsense appraisal of your situation: We will assess the facts in hand and give you the best advice we can based on California law.
- 100% effort on your behalf: That means responding to concerns, tracking down leads, and following through with commitments.
Preparing for a Trial
We always fight for the best possible outcomes. From beginning to end, we strive to achieve the results that have the least harmful impacts. While getting charges dropped or reduced is often ideal, sometimes a plea bargain to reduce sentencing, commuting sentencing, or an attempt to participate in alternative programming is a good outcome. If the case goes to trial, a vigorous effort toward a verdict of innocence is always the goal. You can count on a strong courtroom presence through preparation and critical thinking, and the effective development of a counternarrative to the prosecution’s story. All in all, we have a no-holds-barred approach:
- Understanding the approach of the particular judge overseeing the trial;
- Respecting the system and working effectively within it;
- Organizing materials, plans, and strategies in a way that makes sense;
- Communicating effectively with all parties;
- Getting the facts by interviewing witnesses and clients;
- Finding expert witnesses to address evidence;
- Conducting extensive research to develop a theory of the case and find precedents to support our theory;
- Filing motions on behalf of the client in order to strengthen our position;
- Participating in discovery sharing according to the law;
- Preparing a believable story to counter what the prosecution presents;
- Subpoenaing witnesses, documents, and other evidence to support our case;
- Crafting a strong, sincere opening argument to present to the jury;
- Preparing you and other witnesses to testify on your behalf;
- Acquiring photos, records, and other documents relevant to the case;
- Producing exhibits related to the incident in question;
- Considering specific objectives during jury selection;
- Challenging testimony and evidence provided by the prosecution;
- Anticipating the potential moves of the prosecution and being prepared for them;
- Thinking on our feet and addressing issues as they arise;
- Delivering strong, forceful closing arguments;
- Submitting jury instructions to the judge;
- Keeping accurate records in the event an appeal is appropriate.
Let’s Get Started
The experienced criminal defense attorneys at Boertje &Associates will work hard for you. To discuss your situation in a safe, confidential manner, schedule a consultation in our San Diego office today.