No criminal conviction looks good on your record or reflects well on you in the eyes of others. Some convictions carry a serious stigma that affects the way others perceive you. As a result, when you are done serving your sentence, you may have a difficult time doing all of the things that others with a clean record can do. Certain charges can make life after prison extremely difficult. Domestic violence charges are one example of this.
Just the accusation of domestic abuse can impact your reputation. When you are convicted on criminal domestic abuse charges, it can be devastating to your future. If you have been arrested for domestic abuse in California, trust the experienced and resourceful legal counsel of the San Diego domestic violence defense attorney David M. Boertje. We are standing by to help.
Prosecution Strategies Against Domestic Violence Offenders in California
The prosecution will look at every aspect of your case to mount a strategy against you that secures a conviction. The tactics they use are stealthy, so it is best to understand what you could potentially encounter. The following tactics are commonly used by aggressive prosecutors:
- A prosecutor may advocate for a plaintiff to secure a protective order even when both the defendant and the plaintiff are on track to work things out cooperatively and safely. With a protective order in place, there can be no communication between these parties, which inhibits the amicable resolution of important issues.
- When domestic abuse accusations are made, the “always believe the victim” mentality kicks in. As the alleged perpetrator, it is your credibility that the prosecutor will scrutinize and aim to tarnish.
- If you even try to speak to potential witnesses or if you try to connect with the party who has brought the abuse charges against you, a prosecutor will frame this as you trying to intimidate these individuals.
- Recordings of phone calls you make while incarcerated may be used against you. Think carefully about what you say and to whom you reach out.
- Your entire life will be put on the line as evidence that you are capable of domestic abuse. So, even if you have made a mistake in the past that is completely unrelated to your current situation, if it can benefit the prosecution’s argument, they are going to use it as a means to harm you and persuade a judge and jury that you should be found guilty.
Speak to a San Diego Domestic Abuse Defense Attorney Today
Due to the severity of criminal punishments under the law and the negative life implications a California domestic abuse conviction can have, it is best to have experienced and aggressive legal representation on your side fighting to protect you. For help overcoming your charges, please call the experienced San Diego domestic abuse defense attorney at The Law Offices of David M. Boertje to schedule a free initial consultation at (619) 229-1870 for the San Diego office or (760) 476-0901 for the Carlsbad location.